Custom Timer Job (RWL)
- The client was using manual and offline Microsoft access file-based solutions to store their business data.
- They were maintaining different access files for different zones that they were operating in.
- All these zone-wise data files were separate and independent of each other.
- The client wanted an online system with data accumulated from all these independent access files.
- They also needed advanced filtering, and sorting facilities on these data; along with a dashboard facility containing various widgets showing useful information related to the data.
- Also, they were in a need to control the data being shown to various users of the system.
Products and Services used
- SharePoint Branding
- Web parts
- Data Aggregation
- First and foremost, the system needed to import data from existing access files. That too at a regular interval to keep both systems in sync until the older system is discontinued from use.
- More metadata was required to be attached to the existing data.
- Email notifications were required to be sent on encountering certain data states.
- Filtering and sorting facilities were to be provided on data listing.
- A dashboard was needed which would display useful data aggregations.
- A custom timer job was developed to import data from access files.
- Mismatches and problems faced during import were logged and web parts were provided to search and manage these logs.
- Aggregate data from all zone-based access files were stored together in SharePoint lists.
- Extra metadata fields were provided along with existing fields in SharePoint lists, which helped users to provide further details to existing data.
- A custom user-management web-part was developed based on business needs. This module took care of providing and removing appropriate SharePoint security rights to various users of the site. A user could only see data for which he/she is authorized to work.
- Custom web-parts were developed for listing various data. Custom filtering and sorting inputs were provided along with each data listing. Also, CAML query based paging was provided for each listing.
- Various web parts were developed to show widgets and charts to display user data.
- Lots of customization was provided to admin user through custom web-part properties.
- Site was provided with custom branding for better esthetics, and enterprise look, and feel.
- The solution provides a great online platform for existing scattered offline data.
- User-based security restrictions ensuring data authorization.
- Import timer utility helped both the old and new system to run simultaneously without any trouble.
- CAML based custom paging ensured the best performance despite of working on a huge amount of data.
- Log management ensures easy tracking of import problems.
That is the best path to SharePoint for your organization? How do you know which applications to host in the SharePoint —and which SharePoint features are the best fit?
SharePoint has today become the most preferred platform for content, document and record management, business collaboration, intranet and extranet corporate portals, and many more opportunities.
SharePoint is considered as one of the most powerful business tools with the best interface and great features. Being a technology it requires regular upgradation to the latest versions. Hence the migration process is much important.
We at Experts of SharePoint offer end to end solutions to our client’s right from consultancy to implementation and support. Whether you’re just beginning with SharePoint or you have already deployed SharePoint, we are always there to support you with your varied requirements throughout the implementation life cycle.